!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Param Bir Singh vs Anil Deshmukh:
Maharashtra Government moves Supreme Court challenging the Bombay High Court order in which it ordered the CBI probe against former Home Minister, Anil Deshmukh, for his alleged involvement in corruption, levelled by former Mumbai Police Commissioner Param Bir Singh
Finance Ministry appointments:
- Tarun Bajaj, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance appointed as Secretary, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance
- Ajay Seth appointed as Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance
Supreme Court fixes the matter for hearing on April 21, the plea filed by Goa Congress chief, Girish Chodankar, seeking directions to Goa Assembly Speaker to dispose of the disqualification petition filed against 10 BJP MLAs, in a timely manner
EAM S Jaishankar after meeting Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov
- Much of our discussions today cover the preparations for President Putin’s visit for the annual summit later this year. Our bilateral cooperation remains energetic & forward-looking. We talked about longstanding partnership in nuclear space & defence sectors.
- We assess positively our economic cooperation noting new opportunities in the Russian far east. We spoke of connectivity including the International North-South Transport Corridor and Chennai-Vladivostok Maritime Corridor
- We note an appetite for greater investment in each other by both countries. Russian support for our Gaganyaan programme has progressed for which deeply appreciate. Our defence requirement in the past year was expeditiously addressed
Central Railway announces Additional Special Trains running from Mumbai to Gorakhpur, Patna, Darbhanga and Pune to Danapur
Pariksha Pe Charcha to be held tomorrow
Around 14 lakhs students, teachers & parents have registered for 4th edition of Pariksha Pe Charcha to be held tomorrow. Students from 81 foreign countries have participated in the Pariksha Pe Charcha creative writing contest: Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal
Punjab: A team of UP Police leaves from Rupnagar jail with gangster-turned-politician Mukhtar Ansari, for Banda.
On March 26th, Supreme Court ordered the transfer of the BSP MLA to jail in UP from Punjab to face trials there.
Capital markets engine for India’s growth, says Uday Kotak
- Capital markets are the engine for India’s growth, and policymakers across the spectrum need to keep in mind that this needs to be nurtured and sustained, CII president Uday Kotak said.
- During the pandemic, he said, capital markets supported the economy, helped the corporates raise much-needed funds for sustenance.
- “We saw probably the highest levels of fund raise. We saw an active and a functioning capital market, and the regulator Sebi and the Ministry of Corporate Affairs were on their toes to do what is right for markets, and to ensure a delicate balance between the interests of issuers and investors,” he said.
- Those who had access to capital irrespective of sectors including stressed one were able to navigate and survive the turbulent time, Kotak who is also managing director of Kotak Mahindra Bank said at the CII Corporate Governance Summit.
One jawan is still missing. Rumors are that he is under the captivity of Naxals. Currently, we are verifying the news and planning an operation in context with the jawan: Kuldiep Singh (CRPF DG)
Toxic foam was seen floating in Yamuna river at Kalindi Kunj, Delhi today
Toxic foam was seen floating in Yamuna river at Kalindi Kunj, Delhi today. https://t.co/D5eJr3ywF2
— ANI (@ANI) 1617696235000
US Special Presidential Envoy for Climate, John Kerry meets Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi
Exercise La Pérouse 2021 underway in Indian Ocean Region from April 5-7
Exercise La Pérouse 2021 is underway in Indian Ocean Region from April 5 to April 7. Navies of Indian, Australia, F… https://t.co/RzR2TK1tPg
— ANI (@ANI) 1617695481000
IAF continues to carry out fire fighting operation for the second day in Uttarakhand
Several sorties are being conducted over the burning forests of Pauri and Tehri districts to spray water over the flames and extinguish them.
DRDO opens up missile production partnership for Indian private sector
In a bid to promote the domestic defence industry, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has allowed private sector firms to both develop and produce missile systems such as vertical launched surface to air missile systems programme.
Didi has been asking “Is BJP God that it already knows it is winning polls?” I want to say to her that we’re normal people engaged in the service of public. I want to tell the people that I’ll return your love with interest in the form of development
– PM Modi in Cooch Behar, WB
Rahul Gandhi attacks govt on Rafale jet deal
- Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday took a swipe at the government over the Rafale fighter jet deal, saying karma is the ledger of one’s action and no one can escape it.
- He said this after a French media report claimed that 1.1 million Euros was paid to a “middleman” by the aircraft manufacturer, a charge that was denied by the BJP as baseless.
Ambani security scare:
In CCTV footage, Sachin Waze was seen going to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus at 7 pm on 4th March. He had taken a local train to Thane that day. He was brought to CSMT y’day for scene recreation. Body of Mansukh Hiren was found at Kalwa creek in Thane on 5th March.
Our countries are tied through a strategic partnership and at the heart of our partnership is the long-lived friendship between our nations & proximity of our stance on relevant international issues & our friendship
– Russian Foreign Minister at delegation-level talks with EAM
A threat mail was received by CRPF in Mumbai a few days ago naming Union Home Minister Amit Shah and UP CM Yogi Adityanath, concerned agencies have been informed: CRPF sources
EAM Jaishankar and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Russia, Sergey Lavrov hold delegation-level talks in Delhi
- I think when it comes to our own relationship, you know that it’s indeed something very special. Despite the rapid changes in the world over last many decades, our relations have grown from strength to strength: EAM
- This yr marks the 22nd year of our strategic partnership & 12th yr of our special & privileged strategic partnership. So, I’m sure that many of our conversations would be conducted in that spirit as very close partners, said EAM
False narratives being built; be it about farm laws, CAA, labour laws. It is a conspiracy to create political instability
– PM Modi
BJP not only represents national interest but is also party of regional aspirations: PM Modi at BJP foundation day
Delhi’s Rouse Avenue Court grants bail to KD Singh, former TMC MP, in a money laundering case
Unfortunate that some people call BJP poll-winning machine; they don’t understand Indian democracy’s maturity
– PM Modi at BJP foundation day
PM Narendra Modi on BJP’s 41st foundation day
Our mantra has been “Vyakti Se Bada Dal Aur Dal Se Bada Desh”.This tradition continues to this day. We fulfilled Shyama Prasad Mukherjee’s vision (of one India), scrapped Article 370 and gave Kashmir the constitutional right.
Justice NV Ramana appointed next Chief Justice Of India
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Justice NV Ramana as the next Chief Justice Of India.
- The senior-most Supreme Court judge was recommended by current Chief Justice of India Justice SA Bobde, keeping with convention and norms of seniority.
- Justice Ramana will take charge as the 48th Chief Justice of India on April 24. Justice Ramana is due to retire on August 26, 2022.
Portion of an under-construction bridge collapses in Punjabi Bagh area
One labourer feared trapped. Two fire tenders are present at the spot: Delhi Fire Services
Delhi: JP Nadda at party headquarters for BJP Foundation Day program
Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party President JP Nadda at party headquarters for BJP Foundation Day program https://t.co/iAKMHB2LO7
— ANI (@ANI) 1617684044000
Quake of 4.1 magnitude hits north Bengal, second in less than 12 hrs
A mild earthquake of 4.1 magnitude hit north Bengal on Tuesday morning, as per the National Center for Seismology.
OPENING BELL: Sensex slips 151.80 pts to 49,007.52 in opening session; Nifty declines 35.40 pts to 14,602.40
Voter turnout in assembly elections till 9.11am:
Tamil Nadu – 0.24%
Puducherry – 0.38%
West Bengal – 4.88%
Assam – 0.93%
U.S. auto industry calls for govt help as it warns of impact of chip shortage
Tapan Sarkar, sector officer of Sector 17 in AC 177 Uluberia Uttar at Howrah district, went with Reserve EVM and slept at a relative’s house. This is a gross violation of EC’s instructions for which he has been suspended and charges will be framed for major punishment.
– Election Commission of India
Labour board says Amazon illegally fired outspoken workers
Both employees, Emily Cunningham and Maren Costa, worked at Amazon offices in Seattle
They publicly criticised the company, pushing it to do more to reduce its impact on climate change and to better protect warehouse workers from the coronavirus
International swimming federation cancels diving, artistic swimming, marathon swim qualifiers in Japan
Harvey Weinstein appeals conviction, blames ‘cavalier’ judge
More than a year after Harvey Weinstein’s rape conviction, his lawyers are demanding a new trial, arguing in court papers Monday that the landmark #MeToo prosecution that put him behind bars was buoyed by improper rulings from a judge who was “cavalier” in protecting the disgraced movie mogul’s right to a fair trial.
Indian refiners deepen cuts to Saudi oil purchases in May: Sources
Indian state refiners will buy 36% less oil from Saudi Arabia in May than normal, three sources said, in a sign of escalating tensions with Riyadh even after the Kingdom supported the idea of boosting output from OPEC and allied producers last week.
New IMF reserves could fund vaccinations for low-, middle-income countries: Report
Moves to bolster the IMF’s emergency reserves could provide the $44 billion needed to vaccinate 70% of the population in lower- and middle-income countries by the end of 2022, at no added cost to rich countries, a new Rockefeller Foundation report finds.
Japan Airlines to retire 777 planes with Pratt & Whitney engines after United incident
Japan Airlines Co Ltd (JAL) said it had retired its fleet of 13 Boeing Co 777s with Pratt & Whitney engines a year earlier than planned, having suspended operations in February after an engine on a United Airlines plane shed debris.
US court moves extradition hearing of Tahawwur Rana from April 22 to June 24
US talks with Russia on Ukraine, Urges Moscow to de-escalate tensions
NASA’s Mars helicopter Ingenuity survives its first chilly Martian night
- NASA’s Mars helicopter Ingenuity has survived its first cold Martian night on its own.
- The space agency’s Perseverance rover, which landed safely on Mars on February 18.
- It has been carrying the helicopter Ingenuity in its belly.
India blessed to have a major manufacturer of global vaccines: West Bengal President on SII
- He was encouraged by India’s ramping up of its domestic vaccination programme.
- Malpass made the comments on Monday during a media roundtable.
North Korea will not go to Olympics: Sports ministry
Earthquake of magnitude 2.7 strikes Assam’s Tinsukia
- An earthquake of magnitude 2.7 on the Richter Scale occurred near Tinsukia in Assam at 3:42 am.
- Tremors were felt in various parts of Assam.
- Yesterday, an earthquake of magnitude 5.4 on the Richter Scale occurred near the Sikkim-Nepal border at 8:49 pm.