!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Covid-19: Himachal Pradesh reports 157 new positive cases and 272 new recoveries in the last 24 hours
All citizens in the country to get free COVID-19 vaccine: Sarangi
- Union Minister Pratap Sarangi on Sunday said that all people of the country will be given free COVID vaccine, amidst the demand by opposition parties in the country for it and not only in poll-bound Bihar as announced by the BJP.
- The BJP announcement of free COVID vaccine for Bihar, where assembly polls begin this week, had kicked up a controversy with the opposition parties tearing into the NDA government alleging that the ruling party was using the pandemic for political reasons.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had said the announcement was in order as it was an election manifesto announcement.
Covid-19: Jharkhand reports 258 new cases, 378 recoveries/discharges and 2 deaths today.
Britain records 19,790 new COVID-19 cases, 151 deaths, reports Reuters.
4,127 new COVID-19 cases, 3,857 discharged cases and 60 deaths reported in West Bengal today, as per the State Health Department.
China’s Xinjiang province reports 137 new coronavirus cases
- Coronavirus cases spiked suddenly in China with Xinjiang province recording 137 new asymptomatic cases on Sunday, a local health official said.
- All the new cases were reported in south Xinjiang’s Kashgar Prefecture after a 17-year-old female villager from Shufu County was confirmed as an asymptomatic carrier of the virus on Saturday during a routine nucleic acid testing.
- Kashgar, which borders Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), has tested samples from over 2.83 million residents since Saturday, with test results obtained for 334,800 people.
Italy reports new record of 21,273 coronavirus cases as more curbs imposed, reports Reuters.
US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo
Wheels up for my trip to India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, and Indonesia. Grateful for the opportunity to connect with ou… https://t.co/SHkKukVSB4
— ANI (@ANI) 1603643004000
Turbaned Sikh among 8 Indo-Canadian winners in British Columbia assembly polls
- Eight Indo-Canadians, including a turbaned Sikh, have won elections in Canada’s British Columbia province as the ruling New Democratic Party (NDP) returned to power with a majority in the snap polls.
Delhi government is prepared to tackle predicted rise in COVID-19 cases in upcoming festive and winter season.
– Satyender Jain, Delhi Health Minister
Bihar elections: Tejashwi Yadav of RJD, at a rally in Gaya
70 years old but he's not relinquishing power. Was there any stability in govt in the last 4 years? How will there… https://t.co/WRmASQIsAZ
— ANI (@ANI) 1603640841000
Haryana records 1,240 fresh COVID-19 cases, 7 more fatalities
Rs 24,713-cr Reliance-Future deal to remain on hold till final arbitration award
- Amazon on Sunday won an interim award against its partner Future group selling retail business to Reliance Industries Ltd for Rs 24,713 crore after a Singapore-based single judge arbitration panel put the deal on hold.
- Amazon had dragged Future to arbitration after the Kishore Biyani group firm had agreed to sell businesses to billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance.
- Passing an interim award in favour of Amazon, V K Rajah – the sole arbitrator in the Amazon vs Future vs Reliance arbitration matter – has asked the Future group to put the deal on hold and said that the deal cannot go through until it finally decides the matter.
- Confirming the development, an Amazon spokesperson said that the arbitration panel has granted the reliefs sought by it and expect an expeditious conclusion of the arbitration process.
Amazon gets a favourable ruling in Singapore
Amazon gets a favourable ruling in Singapore; Kishore Biyani’s Future Group told to not proceed for now with Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Retail, reports ET NOW.
Covid-19: Delhi reports 4136 new cases, 3826 recoveries/discharges/migrations and 33 deaths in the last 24 hours.
Reliance rolls back salary cuts, offers bonus
- Billionaire Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries is rolling back salary cuts for the employees of its hydrocarbons division and is also giving out performance bonus that had been deferred after business was hit by coronavirus lockdown.
- The firm is also offering an advance 30 per cent of the variable pay from the next year’s salary to its lakh-plus employees as a goodwill gesture for working during the pandemic, two persons familiar with the matter said.
- Reliance in April had cut the salary of employees of its hydrocarbons division by 10 per cent to 50 per cent with the firm’s chairman and richest Indian Mukesh Ambani agreeing to forgo all his remuneration.
Lewis Hamilton wins Portuguese GP for record 92nd F1 victory
- British driver Lewis Hamilton made Formula One history on Sunday, winning the Portuguese Grand Prix for a 92nd career victory to move one ahead of German great Michael Schumacher.
- Hamilton finished nearly 25.6 seconds ahead of Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas and 34.5 clear of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen for his eighth win of another dominant season. He also took an extra point for the fastest lap to extend his huge championship lead to 77 points over Bottas with just five races left.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo & Defence Secretary Mark Esper to arrive in India on Monday
- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary Mark T Esper will arrive here on Monday for the third edition of the two-plus-two ministerial dialogue which is taking place just a week ahead of the American presidential election and in the midst of India’s festering border row with China.
- The two-plus-two dialogue will be held on Tuesday. The Indian side at the talks will be represented by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
Bulgarian PM says he has tested positive for Covid-19, reports AFP
Mos in Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), G Kishan Reddy participates in ‘Ravan Dahan’ at Amberpet of Hyderabad
Telangana: Mos in Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), G Kishan Reddy participates in 'Ravan Dahan' at Amberpet of Hyder… https://t.co/btqFANSGsH
— ANI (@ANI) 1603635503000
GST regime has failed, PM should acknowledge it and revert to old tax regime.
– Uddhav Thackeray, Maharashtra Chief Minister
Covid-19: Maharashtra reports 6,059 new cases, 5,648 recoveries and 112 deaths.
Karnataka reports 4439 new COVID-19 cases
Karnataka reports 4439 new #COVID19 cases, 32 deaths and 10,106 discharges in the last 24 hours. Total cases in t… https://t.co/SSPiQd20l7
— ANI (@ANI) 1603632515000
Spain’s PM Sanchez seeks to keep new state of emergency in place until May
- Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said he will ask parliamentary allies to support prolonging a state of emergency, introduced on Sunday, for six months until May.
- He said travel between regions will be banned under the new state of emergency rules.
RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das tests positive for COVID-19
RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das tests positive for #COVID19, says he will continue to work from isolation. https://t.co/Kf6L7wUe4e
— ANI (@ANI) 1603631929000
Spain declares nationwide state of emergency over coronavirus, reports AFP
- Spain’s prime minister declares a second nationwide state of emergency amid a surge of new virus infections.
Manipur reports 140 new COVID-19 infections, taking total cases to 17,162 out of which 4,166 are active patients. Total deaths 139.
Army commanders to review situation in Ladakh
- Top commanders of the Army will carry out a comprehensive assessment of India’s combat readiness in eastern Ladakh as well as other sensitive areas along the Line of Actual Control with China at a four-day conference beginning Monday, government sources said.
- The commanders will also deliberate on a slew of long-pending reform measures like cutting down on ceremonial practices and non-military activities to ensure a rational distribution of resources, they said.
- Chief of Army Staff Gen MM Naravane will chair the Army Commanders’ Conference (ACC), which is an apex level biannual event that formulates important policy decisions through a collegiate system of deliberation.
Covid-19: Tamil Nadu reports 2,869 new cases, taking total cases to 7,09,005 out of which 30,606 are active patients
Onion price drop by up to Rs 10/kg in consuming mkts on govt action against hoarding
- Wholesale onion prices fell by up to Rs 10 per kg in key consuming markets such as Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai with increase in arrival of the perishable commodity after the government imposed stock limits on traders to check hoarding and price rise, government data showed.
- Onion prices showed a declining trend even in producing areas. For instance, in Lasalgaon in Maharashtra, Asia’s largest wholesale onion market, onion prices dropped by Rs 5 per kg to Rs 51 per kg in just one day after the government’s order on stock limits.
In Pics: Army organises youth ‘Walkathon’ at Old Air Field military station, Srinagar
J&K: Army organises youth 'Walkathon' at Old Air Field military station, Srinagar "With administration's help we g… https://t.co/NhAav4yMWC
— ANI (@ANI) 1603629841000
Veteran Gujarati film musician, former MP Mahesh Kanodia dead
Famous Gujarati film musician, singer and former Parliamentarian Mahesh Kanodia died at his residence in Gandhinagar on Sunday following a prolonged illness, his family member said. He was 83.
Covid-19: Kerala reports 6,843 new cases taking the number of active patients to 96,585
Pope names 13 new cardinals, includes WDC Archbishop Gregory
- Pope Francis has named 13 new cardinals, including Washington DC Archbishop Wilton Gregory, who would become the first Black US prelate to earn the coveted red cap.
- In a surprise announcement from his studio window Sunday to faithful standing below in St. Peter’s Square, Francis said the churchmen would be elevated to a cardinal’s rank in a ceremony on November 28.
4 killed, 2 injured in explosion at Pakistan’s Quetta
- At least four people were killed and two persons sustained injuries after a bomb exploded in Quetta, the provincial capital of Balochistan in Pakistan, on Sunday.
- The explosion took place within the vicinity of Shalkot police station, reported ARY News.Police officials informed mediapersons that the explosive material was planted on a motorcycle while one vehicle and motorcycles parked at the scene caught fire after the explosion.
- Heavy contingents of law enforcement agencies rushed to the incident’s site and have cordoned off the whole area.
Nagaland reports 111 new COVID19 infections and 55 recoveries
Army Chief Gen MM Naravane scheduled to visit Nepal from Nov 4-6 with an aim to reset ties
Low visitor turnout at centuries-old Durga Puja in Kolkata
- The 263-year-old Sovabazar Rajbari Durga Puja, which used to welcome thousands of revellers during the five-day carnival, witnessed a low visitor turnout this year in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Only 25 people are being allowed to enter the premises at a time in view of the pandemic situation, a member of the family said.
2,997 new COVID19 infections and 21 deaths reported in Andhra Pradesh
With this, the total cases in the state increase to 8,07,023 out of which 30,860 are active patients. Total deaths rise to 6,587.
CVC asks govt organisations to identify, implement systemic improvements
- The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) has asked all government organisations to identify and implement systemic improvements, an official statement said on Sunday.
- This is among the initiatives planned by the CVC during the vigilance awareness week that begins from Tuesday.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to address the Army Commanders’ Conference on 27th October
The Army Commanders’ Conference will be held in Delhi from 26th to 29th October. The event will be attended by senior officers of the Army including the Vice Chief of the Army Staff, all Army Commanders, Principal Staff Officers (PSOs) of the Army HQ, and other senior officers, reports ANI.
COVID-19 death toll in Uttar Pradesh rises to 6,882 with 28 more fatalities
Puducherry reports 83 new COVID19 infections taking total cases to 34,193
UK considers reducing quarantine period for COVID-19 contacts
- Britain’s government is looking at how long those exposed to COVID-19 need to quarantine, Northern Ireland minister Brandon Lewis told Sky News on Sunday, commenting on reports that the self-isolation period could be reduced from 14 days.
- Like many other European countries, the UK is facing a surge in infections. It has so far reported 884,457 coronavirus cases with 44,795 deaths, according to a Reuters tally.
Key Al-Qaeda leader killed in Afghanistan
- Afghan forces have killed a top Al-Qaeda militant wanted by the United States, as the government on Sunday accused the Taliban of still keeping close ties with the Islamist militant group.
- Abu Muhsin al-Masri, an Egyptian national believed to be the group’s number two in the Indian sub-continent, was targeted in eastern Ghazni province, Afghanistan’s intelligence agency said in a statement.
Motorola aims to grow ‘faster than industry’ in India
Smartphone maker Motorola is looking to clock a “profitable growth” and grow “faster than the industry” in India on both quarterly and yearly basis, with devices in the price range of Rs 9,000 to Rs 20,000 a unit driving the momentum, a top company official has said.
Nitish Kumar will be behind bars if LJP comes to power: Chirag Paswan
- “Nitish Kumar and his officers will be behind bars if we come to power,” Paswan said.
- Addressing a rally in Dumraon, Buxar in the run-up to polling in Bihar, Paswan raised several questions before the present state government.
Kapil Dev absolutely fine, discharged from hospital: Chetan Sharma
- The World Cup-winning captain Kapil Dev is “absolutely fine” and has been discharged from the hospital, said former cricketer Chetan Sharma.
- Sharma took to Twitter and wrote: “Good News Kapil Paji is absolutely fine & has been discharged from the hospital. Jai mata di.”
19.85 Km Alternate Alignment of NH 310 dedicated to the nation today
This new alignment will bolster defence preparedness in Nathula Sector. Congratulations to BRO for unwavering commitment towards delivering outstanding quality infrastructure: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
Nitin Gadkari lays foundation stone of Maritime cluster at Verna Industrial estate in Salcete, Goa
Union Road Transport & Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari virtually lays foundation stone of Maritime cluster at Verna… https://t.co/1ugEfcdynB
— ANI (@ANI) 1603619510000
Chhattisgarh: 32 Naxals surrender in Dantewada
Bihar: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar addresses a public rally at Phulparas in Madhubani
Bihar: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar addresses a public rally at Phulparas in Madhubani "We have worked against cri… https://t.co/u7Nb1ygKj1
— ANI (@ANI) 1603618130000
Pakistan’s opposition alliance all set to hold anti-government rally in Quetta
A grand alliance of Pakistan’s major Opposition parties decided to go ahead with an anti-government rally on Sunday in Quetta city as part of a campaign to oust Prime Minister Imran Khan, despite security threats. The Opposition alliance has accused that Khan was installed by the military in a rigged election two years ago.
COVID-19 tally in Puducherry reaches 34,193 with 83 new cases
Death toll rises to 588
Soumitra Chatterjee’s condition deteriorates to ‘very critical’: Doctors
The health condition of legendary Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee deteriorated to “very critical” on Sunday, doctors treating him at a private hospital said.
Dr Paul expert committee had said that due to cold & festive season, cases (per day) can spike up to 12,000-14,000 but right now it’s around 4000 so situation is contained
– Delhi Health Minister
Earthquake of magnitude 3.6 struck near Gangtok in Sikkim at 12:06 pm: National Centre for Seismology
Suicide bombing at Kabul education centre kills 24, students among the victims
- Most of the victims were students aged between 15 and 26, according to the health ministry. Fifty-seven were injured in the attack, the interior ministry said.
- A Taliban spokesman on Twitter denied responsibility for the attack, which came at a sensitive time as teams representing the insurgents and the government meet in Qatar to seek a peace deal.
Delhi: Effigies of Ravan, Kumbhakarn and Meghnad being set up in the national capital
Delhi: Effigies of Ravan, Kumbhakarn and Meghnad being set up in the national capital's Shastri Park. #Vijayadashami https://t.co/xQp0v4QT3O
— ANI (@ANI) 1603615063000
Punjab: 3 people injured after a garment-dyeing factory building in Ludhiana
Punjab: 3 people injured after a garment-dyeing factory building in Ludhiana's Geeta Colony collapsed, due to explo… https://t.co/eNhwnh54rq
— ANI (@ANI) 1603614274000